PPROCE, Pilot Project Provenance Research on Objects of the Colonial Era, is a joint project of the National Museum of World Cultures, the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam and the Expertise Centre of the NIOD Institute for War, Holocaust, and Genocide Studies (ECR/NIOD), with the aim of developing a methodology for provenance research into collections with a colonial context. The project was realized through the financial support of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. Within this project, the steps were mapped out that are necessary for carrying out provenance research into colonial collections. This was done by means of a number of selected cases from Indonesia and Sri Lanka.
Main image of this page: RV-1429-134 - Drawing of the mythic mount Buraq, by Teuku Teungoh - Provenance report 15
From the collection of the National Museum of World Cultures, 46 objects from Indonesia were examined, for which 33 resulted in provenance reports. The objects can be divided into four different categories:
- The first group (1 to 11) was selected, in consultation with the National of Museum of Indonesia, from the large collection that until 1883 was part of the Royal Cabinet of Curiosities (Koninklijk Kabinet van Zeldzaamheden).
- The second group (12 to 27) are objects that entered the NMVW as a result of colonial wars (in Banjarmasin, Aceh, Bali, and the War of Indonesian Independence).
- The third group (28) concerns Buddha heads originally from the Borobudur.
- The fourth group (29 to 33) consists of objects collected by private collectors (Georg Tillmann, Martine Tonnet and Freek Kamma).
The provenance reports were written by the researchers Tom Quist (1,5,8,9,10, 23, 24), Klaas Stutje (2,3,4,6,7,20 t/m 22, 32), Mirjam Shatanawi (11 t/m 19; 25 t/m 27), Marieke Bloembergen and Melle Monquil (28), and Caroline Drieënhuizen (29 t/m 31, 33). Their research was carried out in consultation with members of the PPROCE steering group.
- Provenance report 1, Head cover – Girdle for a state kris – State kris
- Provenance report 2, Shield
- Provenance report 3, Wayang bèbèr
- Provenance report 4, Trophy skull
- Provenance report 5, State krisses
- Provenance report 6, Lance
- Provenance report 7, Musket
- Provenance report 8, State kris
- Provenance report 9, Letter from the Sultan of Madura + Kris of King Willem I
- Provenance report 10, State kris
- Provenance report 11, Amulet scroll
- Provenance report 17, Kris with scabbard
- Provenance report 18, Handwritten Koran
- Provenance report 19, Panel from a grave
- Provenance report 15, Drawings of the mythical mount Buraq
RV-1429-134 en RV-1429-134a
- Provenance report 20, State jacket of Teuku Umar
- Provenance report 21, Sword
- Provenance report 22, Manuscript of Hikayat Makkah Madinah
- Provenance report 23, Grave stone – Batu Aceh
- Provenance report 24, Dagger with scabbard and lance with scabbard
- Provenance report 25, Curved sabre with scabbard
- Provenance report 27, War jacket
- Provenance report 31, State kris from Bali
- Provenance report 32, Krisses
- Provenance report 33, Miniature Koran
- Provenance report 34, Cotton jacket with Arabic calligraphy
- Provenance report 35, Insignia of the nationalist Siliwangi Division
- Provenance report 36, Stone heads from Buddha statues
- Provenance report 41, Ancestor sculpture
- Provenance report 42, Model of a saron (musical instrument)
- Provenance report 43, Ceramic ointment pot
- Provenance report 44, Stone sculpture of a Singha
- Provenance report 45, Manuscript (Lontar)